SEARCH FOR TITLES

# - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

THE LIST

The Clones (1973)

The Clones (1973) is directed by Paul Hunt (Director of Psychedelics (1966) and another guy, Lamar Card who would go on to make Shadow Warriors (1995).

Now, with that said, the people who made this film are insane. This movie is totally insane. What do I mean by "insane?" Well, I mean that this film is so off the hinges that I'm thinking that Paul Hunt was so hopped up on LSD that Lamar Card was called in to try to make sense of what the hell he was doing and finished the movie. (This is pure speculation on my part of course.)


This, however, doesn't mean you should avoid this movie, as a matter of fact this may be one of the best "worst" movies, one of the best "so-bad-it's-good" films I've ever watched.  As a matter of fact this movie is probably best watched under the influence of illicit substances, but I believe a bunch of alcohol will also do the trick. (Watch it with a friend too).


The premise of clones, cloning and conspiracies pretty much takes a back seat to the utter insanity going on in this film, so don't expect to see a movie which is attempting to have a serious take on these science fiction ideas.


The film begins with the weirdest title sequence I've seen, and I believe the editor was on LSD as well for the entire making of this film. The main character is a guy in a lab coat and a bow tie, and he appears to be pressing buttons, flipping switches in some sort of boiler room dressed up to "look" like some kind of "fusion reactor" (?) control room, and some sort of noises occur, some smoke, an alarm (?) and this guy appears to be trying to escape what seems like could be some sort of accident, but who the hell knows. He runs through these tunnels for awhile and then climbs up out of this underground base into the woods and trips and lands on his head...


Now, I can't go into spoilers for the rest because it is far too valuable for you to see it for yourself and experience for yourself (with friends of course) for the rest of this movie had me laughing and screaming "what in the fuck is happening!!!!"  This movie proceeds to go into territory that is either pure 70s psychedelia, or complete batshit insanity and don't bother trying to understand from any rational moviegoing point of view what should or shouldn't happen next. Forget trying to follow the plot and just watch what the fuck happens. It's truly amazing. There are so many things I want to tell you, but I just can't spoil it, you literally have to experience it for yourself.


This film had me falling off my chair, and not simply rolling my eyes (that would be reserved for a film to attempt to take seriously) but making my eyes bug out and say "why why why is this happening on screen!!! Oh my god, is that what I think it is!"). These people who made this must have been so drugged out that this could very well be the most bizarre and insane movie I've ever seen in my life.  There's plenty of action, violence, funny violence, inexplicable dialog, helicopters, planes, car chases and other crazy shit in spite of it's terribly low budget to continue to entertain you for it's running time, and it's all mad. Mad. Mad. Mad.


If you want to have a good time watching a really bad movie, this is truly worth every minute of your time. You may try to figure out what's going on, by all means, please do, but trying to figure out wherever these people were coming from completely takes over. How crazy are these people? This is worse than Easy Rider. This is completely insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment